Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


Friday News

Friday, September 15, 2006
First, Bebe Thomas interviewed me for her Conversations With Almost Famous Writers blog! It was a good interview. And the best eggrolls I've ever eaten were in a hole-in-the-wall Thai place near the Atlanta airport. Seriously. And y'all know I'm a foodie.

Yesterday was spent at an outdoor museum where I chaperoned The Monkey Princess's 4th grade class. They learned a few things about Native Americans. *sigh* I don't talk down to my kids. I don't simplify things for them much. I make them come up to me, which may be why they have exceptional vocabularies and well-developed senses of humor. So why do people think it's ok to take things down to the lowest common denominator for kids? I swear, it sounded like these guys were addressing kindergarteners. That bugged me.

Dd has decided to read a book called "Cherokee Sisters." It's sad. I read the end and there's no real HEA there. Set in the 1830s, it's about the Tsa-La-Gi -- the Trail of Tears. It will be an emotionally complex book for her, probably the first she's read that deals with such harshness in a historical context, as opposed to pure fantasy. We'll see how it goes.

Off to the commissary to get the grocery shopping done. Gosh, I live such a glamourous life. On the subject of food, however, please be aware of the E. coli bacteria that has caused illness in several states due to fresh bagged spinach. Read more about it here and Be Careful!
9/15/2006 09:27:00 AM : : Sela Carsen : : 8 Comments

8 Comments:

Not yet. I don't think it's one I ever read, either. We'll see how this one goes, then probably take a break with lighter fare before we try IotBD. Thanks for the suggestion!

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 11:02 AM  

You certainly live in an exciing part of the country. History all over. The Gula People and their contribution to American music, the Civil War, Sherman, the burning of Atlanta. A fecund source of novels and songs for generations.
No wonder you southern ladies and gentlemen write so well.
I have a theory that Canadian writing is sort of milquetoasty because we've never been occupied--Well, the French might argue, but they pretty well own us, in votes, anyway.
I haven't yet read "The Cherokee Sisters"--But talk about being occupied!--In Spades!
I've got a feeling your kids are going to learn something.

Damn, when we were kids in Northern Ontario we were all closet Yankees and Rebels, acting out the Civil War over and over again, fuelled, no doubt by EC comics, whose writers and illustrators brought Atlanta and Gettysburg and Appomatox to us.
--Ah those great EC comic book writers. Before they went MAD.
(I just got an e-letter from MAD...Say they like me...I did a thesis on them.
Hoo Hah!

By Blogger ivan, at 6:40 PM  

Sherman burned Columbia, too. I learned about that when I went on last year's field trip to the state house.

I think South Carolina is a beautiful state and think I'll miss it a lot when we move. I especially like the northern and western edges of the state that are Appalachian territory. Gorgeous.

I loved MAD! Years ago, my dad didn't bother to censor my reading when I read his collection. I was 9. He probably should have. ;) There were a lot of things I didn't understand, but Spy Vs Spy is just damn funny stuff.

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 7:36 AM  

Commissary? Is dh in the military? I have a total love/hate relationship with the place...great prices, but avoid the place like the plague close to payday...LOL

Thanks for the congrats, btw!

Oh, and SC is a very beautiful state, at least, what little I've seen! :)

By Blogger Larissa Ione, at 10:31 AM  

He just retired from the AF, Larissa, so I still get to use the commissary. And I didn't realize it was payday until I was almost out the door yesterday! I chickened out. LOL! I'll wait til Monday now.

More congrats! That's so exciting for you!

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 10:44 AM  

I love museums, I think I spent half of my life in one growing up.

It's worse when people talk down to teenagers.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:49 AM  

ooh, love your banner. I want one. Guess I better sell books first, huh? :-)

By Blogger Babe King, at 7:03 AM  

Haven Rich made my banner for a great price, Babe. Give her a holler!

I love museums, too, Aimee. I spent a lot of time in the museum at the uni I went to. Partly because so few students went in there and it was so peaceful.

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich