Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


Y'all are not going to believe this!

Sunday, April 09, 2006
I have a website! It totally rocks!!

Ok, it probably doesn't, but what the heck. It was Free! I love free. It's a 30-day free trial with Homestead. It doesn't have any ads and I kind of liked the layout. It took me, like, half an hour to set it up. Actually, as soon as I registered, I got a phone call from them to help me set it up. Cool, huh? And it wasn't even someone in New Delhi -- it was in California! The young man's name was Ocean. Who does that to their child?

Anyway, it's not perfect yet. I have a lot to learn, but it was something to do instead of write.

I didn't actually say that out loud, did I? Oops.

Anyway, it's there. For now. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with it now. I guess I need a links page. I'll make one of those tomorrow. Or maybe later tonight if I'm still up.

If you're a Diva, you're not allowed to look on the Portfolio page until you're done judging the Best 5 Pages contest. I didn't change the titles on my entries.

And I'm such a geek. Angie commented on my post below. That's my editor! Girly squeak!

Ok, I've obviously consumed way too much caffeine. Or a microscopic piece of the splinter I got while gardening today has gone to my brain. I shouldn't be blogging at 10:30 pm. I should be in bed. Reading.
4/09/2006 10:24:00 PM : : Sela Carsen : : 9 Comments

9 Comments:

OK - here's the web guru's advice.

First page is always an entry page. Think of tiers.

First page is the opening of a book and the contents all in one.

So on the front/first page list your links to other pages within your site.

My suggestions for pages on author sites:

About Me (Personal Bio)
Books (Books you've published)
FAQ/Contact (Questions you get asked frequently - your contact info)
Ideas (Thoughts you might have to help out others)
Links to places I visit (Blogs or websites you visit)
Calendar/Events (signing events, etc.)
Blog/Diary (People love to read a published author's private life)
Works in Progress (A listing of things on the burner - people love to know about what is going on. Just enough detail to keep them interested.)
Marketing information/ Where to buy

Keep everything in the same theme to keep it balanced. If you use red letters on one - use it on all.

If you use logos - have it displayed evenly through out.

Check professional business sites and see how evenly items are done.

Do NOT center everything written. This drives most webbers crazy.

Learn a little HTML (such as italic, bold, underline, etc. but use them sparingly.)

Keep links underlined and explained.

Don't use cursors that change. Some people get very upset with this.

If you use link back banners or other advertising - keep it clean - in specific areas - and keep them in the same areas on every page (for example on top, etc.)

I did web design for a few years... and these are just some helpful thoughts that I found worked with most people.

The cleaner your site is - the more people will look.

The more cluttered things are - people will get lost.

Your main idea is to market yourself - but to do it in a way that will keep people interested and intrigued.

You've got it going on girlie - and you'll do just fine.

Hugs a bunch - and I can't wait to see what you come out with.

Lady M

By Blogger WagerWitch, at 12:22 AM  

Oh and also... people like to know that they are seen and are listened to regularly.

So to keep people interested one thing I've found is a quote area in the comment section.

Usually a little blurb box on the front page that you can change out the quotes.

This keeps people thinking "Wow! She really cares about me!"

Which in turn results in more personal attention.

:P

By Blogger WagerWitch, at 12:24 AM  

Good job! Now back to the writing. Seriously. Being the webmistress for two RWA chapters and several other sites, I know how time consuming web work can be.

By Blogger Kristen Painter, at 8:20 AM  

Great webby, Sela! I have one, for my real name. Still working on one for this penname of mine...

By Blogger Savannah Jordan, at 10:26 AM  

Okay, I popped in...
Congrats on the new website & all that...
But where are the nekkid men??!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:28 PM  

Thanks for the tips, Lady M! Have I succeeded?

Thanks, Jorrie. It was way less of a headache than I anticipated. A fun way to dip my toe into the waters. And free! Did I mention the free part?

*whip-crack!* Ouch, Kristen! All right, already! Today is a cleaning out the house so we can sell this pile and move somewhere else day. Tonight is a writing and reviewing night.

Hey Savannah. Do you do your own webhosting or do you hire a service?

Dang it, Raine. I knew I forgot something!

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 12:36 PM  

Absolutely smashing, Sela!

By Blogger April, at 5:57 PM  

Looks Great Sela!

I'm so thrilled for you.

By Blogger Eva Gale, at 9:25 AM  

I like the design - very welcoming and personable.

Even if I don't like coffee.

Looks great!

By Blogger Sandra Ruttan, at 12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich