Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


A High Five and a Punch

Thursday, August 18, 2005
What a morning. I received the last crit back. Julie, Sasha and Jaye, you are all sage goddesses with an impeccable sense of dramatic timing. If this story gets accepted, it'll be because of you all. Especially, however, Jaye, who has been my primary CP since I stumbled onto the writing road.

It won't take much work. I've got a first draft of my query letter ready and my synopsis halfway done. A few tweaks here and there and I should be able to submit by Monday. Yikes.

Unfortunately, that happy-sick feeling degenerated when I got an e-mail from dd's teacher. The ADD thing is rearing its ugly head again and she wants to meet. *sigh* I wanted dd to start this school year without any preconceptions, so I purposely didn't tell her teacher that she has major focus issues. In retrospect, that might have been the wrong thing to do, but I wanted to give dd the chance to pull herself up.

No such luck.

She has no other issues, no learning disabilities, no bad attitudes to work through. She just can't stay on task. At all. I'm also by and large against putting her on a prescription for this. If she had other issues, I might consider it more strongly, but I'm unwilling to mess with her brain chemistry just because she's seriously distracted.

So here we go again, trying to help her and her teacher get through this year without anyone pulling their hair out. Homeschooling looks better and better, but I'm as ADD as dd is. Not a good combination. *huge sigh*

We'll get through it. We'll work it out. This is not going to kill us, one way or the other, so we'll suck it up and keep going.
8/18/2005 08:44:00 AM : : Sela Carsen : : 12 Comments

12 Comments:

I was able to take Josh off all his ADHD med (he took them for 8 years) when I read the book

The LPC Solution by B. Jacquline Stordy

She's a DR. in the UK and they are waaayyy ahead of the US in this as far as I'm concerned.

It took awhile, but it helped tremendously.

I did start homeschooling him because he was a hairs breath from failing-even on the meds-and I refused to let that happen when I knew he was whip smart. I used to get calls from the second week on. the anger in the house made it a horrible place to live. I had read every/and have practically every book out there on ADHD/ADD. LCP gave me the answers I needed.

(((hugs))) You're such a great Mom. You'll find your answer too.

By Blogger Eva Gale, at 10:51 AM  

WOO HOO on the writing! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

{{{HUGS}}} on the daughter thing. I posted something similar today, after getting a call from my son's kindergarten teacher yesterday. If you find the non-medicated answer, would you mind sharing? In the meantime, I might have to pick up the book Briana mentioned.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:54 AM  

WTG!!

And hugs on your daughter. I posted some stuff on Lynn's blog about some ideas I had, I've read a lot of great articles on changing the kids diets helping. If I remember where I put them, I'll send them your way.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:14 PM  

Sela --
Talk to Kate Hardy about ADD/ADHD. One of her children is ADD, I believe and is NOT on medication.
Hugs on having to deal with this.
Good luck with your submission.

By Blogger Michelle Styles, at 4:45 AM  

Yay for all the good critiques! You've got a winner there. Now get it out there! :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:55 AM  

Hey there Sela!
Congrats! on the good news!
That's so exciting! I'll keep you and the little one in our prayers!
Shriek

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:06 AM  

Hugs on the ADD issues with your daughter, Sela, but great news on the critique! Now get that puppy out the door.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:24 AM  

Congrats on getting the critiques! I hope the story gets contracted. Sorry to hear you have to deal that ugly monster of ADD. Funny thing, I don't think the problem is in the child, but in the old, traditional methods of teaching. These indigo kids are definitively something else.

By Blogger Silma, at 9:53 AM  

The book sounds like a good way to go. I think it's great that you're not jumping to put dd on meds.

Good Luck!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:03 PM  

Sela, Michelle's already beaten me to one bit of advice (vbg) - email me. I'll tell you what we've been doing and maybe it'll help you too.

Our paediatrician suggested fish oil (the one we use is Eye-Q by a firm called equazen - there's bound to be an equivalent in the US!). Takes about 3 months before you notice an effect but it does help. (It's when we let it slip that we notice our son's focus also slips badly.)

The best book I've found is by a Dr Christopher Green (the one who did the Toddler Taming book) - it's practical and really, really helpful.

If you look at http://www.netdoctor.co.uk you'll also see a batch of articles that might be helpful. (They have the reviewing doctor's name as the byline but let's just say the freelance journo who wrote the original drafts of roughly half of them has a lot of experience in this area...)

Chin up. It's tough being a parent of a child with ADHD/Asperger's. You'll be fine because you have a very sensible, practical attitude.

Kate H x

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:17 AM  

Kate there is:
http://www.vitacost.com/CoromegaOmega3FishOilSupplement-90Packs

My aunt did the feingold diet w/my cousin who's ADHD turned out to be a food allergy. You can still find the book on ebay =)
(((sela and daughter))) I know it's tough. I still haven't quite decided if DS is add or has aspergers (we've been doing a chewable suplement because I refuse to put him on meds) and Im looking into further testing.

By Blogger Amie Stuart, at 1:12 PM  

Yup! It's the fish oil babee! Glad to know so many others have found it. We all take it now RELIGIOUSLY. Helps with everything from moods to PMS and cramps. I use Nordic Naturals for the Hatchlings. I also keep Josh off ALL sugar, and watch his simple carbs.

By Blogger Eva Gale, at 10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich