Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


Two Things

Sunday, July 08, 2007
First, I had a blog post up last Friday at Beyond the Veil on the Gods of Central America. Check it out!

Second, I'm back! From South Carolina, at least. It was a long trip and we really only got to spend about 8 hours with our friends, but it was worth it. Even though I hate road trips. I read a lot.

I finished Moonlight and Vines by Charles de Lint.

I think...it's very Canadian. In such a way that although I can appreciate the beauty of the stories, many of them don't really resonate with me. I think Americans, in our innocent arrogance, don't realize that Canadians are NOT just like us, only colder.

There were stories that I liked. I think that my favorites were, unsurprisingly, the ones with distinct plots. The ones where things happened. Where there was a goal to be reached. Wild Horses and China Doll. Those were also stories that weren't necessarily part of the web he created in the anthology. No connecting characters (ok, there was one in Wild Horses, but on the periphery.)

I suppose that proves something about my writing as well. I'm plot-driven. I don't handle navel-gazing too well. I'm impatient with a lot of stories that people tend to call "beautifully crafted." I can see the craft, I can appreciate the beauty, but I want something to happen.

I also finally read Wicked by Gregory Maguire. It was one huge "meh." Depressing, preachy and superficial. I never could bring myself to care about any of the characters because he kept telling me about them, but he never showed me. The POV was shallow all the way through the book. As for Elphaba, I don't have to like the main character, necessarily, but I need to care. I didn't.

And I read Ill Wind by Rachel Caine, the first in the Weather Warden series. It's a lot like the Dresden Files, except for she's a chick. Overall, I'm not upset that I bought it, but I probably won't be picking up the rest of them.

I wrote maybe a hundred new words on Wild Wild Western Bride, but I really still need to do some more research on my setting. Next week.

Tonight -- the laundry!!!

Labels: ,

7/08/2007 07:38:00 PM : : Sela Carsen : : 2 Comments

2 Comments:

Glad you are back.

Wicked the Musical is much better than Wicked the book. If you get a chance go and see it. It does work.

By Blogger Michelle Styles, at 4:27 AM  

Thank goodness the musical is better than the book! I couldn't figure out what the hoopla could be if they were at all similar.

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich