Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


Thinking Out Loud

Saturday, June 23, 2007
Just got back from my RWA Chapter meeting. Today's guest was agent Jessica Faust from the BookEnds Literary Agency. She's the primary contributor to the BookEnds blog, which is a totally worthwhile read.

I'm so glad I got to go and listen. She's probably still listening to pitches as I write this, but I didn't have anything ready, so I didn't want to waste her time. I got to casually chat with her and ask her a couple of questions about the direction the paranormal market is headed. I think what I write -- funny paranormals -- are on the downswing. There's always room for a really well-written book, naturally, but they'll be a harder sell to publishers.

And you know what? I need to put on my big girl panties and write a novel.

I know. Kicking and screaming all the way. But the thing is, the idea I have that'll best translate into a novel is so outrageous and out there, it's bound to catch someone's attention. And that's what this is about. I can write a good story, it's just that it has to catch the right person's attention at the right time.

I'm guessing that if I write full speed ahead (think turtle with a roman candle up his butt) it'll still take me at least seven to nine months to finish the story. That's an awful long time for me to concentrate on any one project.

But I can't think like that if I want to succeed.

So. Now what do I do? Do I even bother finishing Big Bad Wolf? It's a novella. I like it. I can probably sell it once it's done. I'd really like to write Richard St Ivraie's story -- another novella -- because I just should. He deserves it. And I can probably sell that, too.

But how do I prioritize? Novel? Novellas? Writing those novellas would pretty much fill up the rest of 2007. And I don't think I want to wait that long to start the novel.

Yeesh. Any ideas? Any helpful hints? I'll take 'em.

Labels:

6/23/2007 03:55:00 PM : : Sela Carsen : : 10 Comments

10 Comments:

It's SO hard to tell which way the market's going to swing, isn't it?

Afraid I'm having trouble making much the same decision about a few things.

How about just choosing the one you love best?

By Blogger raine, at 1:01 AM  

Why don't you do some of the heavy mental stuff now like world building notes and character profiles while working on the novellas. Then start working on the novel. You can write a bit of the novellas to refresh yourself when you get sick of the novel.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:41 AM  

Raine, I like them all equally. Which is kind of the problem. I'm not really IN LOVE with any of them. I just write them.

Psst, I'm so glad you commented. I've missed you!

You're so cute, Arin. You make it sound like I PLOT or something. LOL! Actually, I'll probably take the next week or so to do some stewing about the whole thing, then see what comes out the end of my pen.

And yeah, I'll still get those novellas done. Good thing I'm not on anyone's time-table. Although frankly, it might help light a fire under me. I'm not exactly what you'd call "self-motivated." ;)

Glad you commented, too, Arin. Don't want you to feel left out. *gg*

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 9:59 AM  

(Raine, waving...) ;-)

I've been busy not writing. *snort!*

You have to find a ms you're in love with.
Nothing will drive you crazier than THAT...

By Blogger raine, at 11:39 AM  

Novels are hard.
Says Carson McCullers, "You lose hair and teeth."
You do.
Pretty women with missing hair and teeth. Hm.
But what satisfaction when you sit at the doughnut shop, doing a little eavesdropping and what are they talking about? Your novel!

Ivan

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:57 PM  

Oh for crying out loud just write it!! It's not as hard to do as you think.

By Blogger FerfeLaBat, at 9:54 PM  

Yup, just do it! Y'know, like Nike.
And btw, you're tagged. :-)

By Blogger Babe King, at 6:32 AM  

Ivan -- great. Not enough I've lost my mind, now I have to lose what's left of my looks?!?

Ferfe, if I didn't whine, there would be nothing for me to blog about. *gg*

Babe, you brat. Well, I did need something new on the blog today.

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 8:29 AM  

You can totally do it! I love your writing and think you'd be fabulous with a full-length.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:23 PM  

Thanks, Amanda! I'm working on it. :)

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich