Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


Libraries!

Saturday, June 30, 2007
I love the library. I've not made much use of it in my life, however, because I'm a notorious late-book-returner. I mean, it's bad. But I'm battling my problem in order to decrease my dependency on bookstores. Buying all the books I want to read does get expensive. Not to mention that sometimes it's hard to find stuff at bookstores.

So I went to the library today. The last time I was there, I had asked them to order a Robin McKinley book I hadn't read -- BLACK BEAUTY. Beautifully illustrated, nicely told, although very constrained. Not her usual style at all. I'd done my research, though, and that wasn't all I wanted.

My library actually had a copy of Vol 1 of THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN (hereinafter referred to as LoEG because it takes too long to write out the whole thing.). I also requested that they order William Gibson's THE DIFFERENCE ENGINE. I haven't read Gibson before, but it was highly recommended by both SFF reading colleagues and in the archives of the Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles.

I also checked out the LoEG film and Vol 3 of The Wild Wild West old TV series. I'm trying to get the atmosphere in my head so I can write it without working so hard to see it. I'd really like to see the movie again -- yes, I know how bad it is -- because it's a visual hook for me. Plus, the guy with spider legs thing? That was funny.

After that, I descended into true geekdom. A comic book shop. Those of you who love comic books, I love ya, but it's an odd little niche. The guy who was working today had a lot of Steampunk knowledge and we had a really good conversation about various graphic novels. He also likes reading Westerns and we bemoaned the death of the genre. It's tough to get good Westerns these days. Anyway, I left there with a copy of BATMAN: GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT. Batman vs Jack the Ripper.

Now, I happen to own the first two volumes of STEAMPUNK: MANIMATRON but they're really more like cyber-punk with coal power. Too tech-based for what I need.

So now I have all this great research. When am I going to find time to work with it?!?

Labels:

6/30/2007 03:03:00 PM : : Sela Carsen : : 3 Comments

3 Comments:

I loved LoEG. I'm assuming you're referring to the one with Sean Connery, because that's the one I saw and I enjoyed it a lot. As for libraries, I love those too. I frequent our local ones often. I just picked up four Kate Walker books yesterday. I haven't read any of her books but I've been talking to her a lot online and decided that I should probably read something of hers.

By Blogger Danielle Marie Peck, at 9:58 PM  

My library ought to name a shelf after me from all the library fines I've paid. :D

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:55 AM  

Danielle -- yup, that's the movie. The comic is... a lot more violent. Yuck. Still, the character development is fun. And have fun with Kate's books! I've always enjoyed her writing.

Arin -- here, here. It gets sad after a while. I just had to renew our previous checkouts because they were overdue. *sigh*

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich