Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


The New WIP

Wednesday, June 27, 2007
I've officially begun a new story. I wrote an opening scene a little over a year ago, then didn't know what to do with it. Since then, I've discovered a niche genre of writing, art and technology called Steampunk. Historical science fiction, usually set in the Victorian/Edwardian era.

You're probably familiar with it, though you may not know it by that name. Anyone remember the old TV show Wild Wild West with Robert Conrad?

Steampunk.

How about the movie The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

Steampunk.

The earliest pioneers of Steampunk were just writing science fiction. Jules Verne, H.G. Wells. Essentially, Steampunk is where science fiction meets steam-powered technology.

Because it's so frickin' weird, however, I didn't really know what to do with all this stuff floating around. So I designed a new blog. Over at Ning. It links to a lot of research, information and ideas about Steampunk. And I'll probably do most of my story-related chattering over there. This blog will still remain active for regular yakking about writing and life in general.

So if you want to know more, you can check out my new blog at:
Writing the Western Steampunk Romance

See y'all there!

Labels:

6/27/2007 03:53:00 PM : : Sela Carsen : : 8 Comments

8 Comments:

Sounds cool!

I'm writing a time travel with a modern teenage heroine going back in time to the Victorian era (France). She'll actually meet Jules Verne, by the way. I'm having a blast plotting it and I'm gonna start on a proposal soon. My agent loves the idea!

Not steam punk, but there are some fun plays on a modern heroine seeing Victorian technology (and them seeing her cell phone that won't work).

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:26 PM  

TAG, you are it, lol. Go to my blog to see what ya have to do. Sorry, had to pass on the luuuurrrve!

http://cicicross.blogspot.com/

By Blogger Christina, at 12:59 AM  

I just like the word. Has a certain spit quality about it. Plus I'm glad to see you throw yourself into writing again. This is good. :-)

By Blogger Babe King, at 8:42 AM  

No, I had never heard of this... Steampunk... this should be interesting!

Cole

By Blogger Cole Reising, at 10:33 AM  

Amanda, I forgot about your time travel -- have fun with that!

I replied on your blog, Christina.

Thanks Babe. It feels good to throw myself back into the ring again.

Cole, it's just such a twisted way of looking at history that I couldn't resist!

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 11:28 AM  

Steampunk rocks! Glad you are doing it you talented gal you!

By Blogger Jax Cassidy, at 11:38 AM  

I visited the Steampunk station...
geez, woman, you don't do anything halfway, do ya?!

It looks terrific, and I can't wait to see how it turns out!

By Blogger raine, at 2:19 AM  

Thanks, Jax!

Raine, *gg* Where's the fun in doing things halfway? And yeah, I can't wait to see how it turns out, either. ;)

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich