Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


Back to Earth -- a Mini Rant

Thursday, March 15, 2007
While I could still fit my head through the door, I figured I'd better do the grocery shopping yesterday. It seems that my children have no concept of my proper place in the world. That is to say, High, Mighty, Exalted and Really Shouldn't Have to Shop for Groceries.

(To say nothing of the boo-boo on my finger. A window sash fell on my knuckle and mashed it the other day, so I have to wear a bandaid. Trouble is, it's my middle finger. I was very concerned all the way through the grocery story that people would think I was flipping them off. Should have worn the Spiderman band-aid instead of the flesh-toned one so they'd have some warning.)

Anyway, I needed sugar. I haven't had to buy sugar since the Great November Stock-Up for the holiday baking season. So it came as a huge surprise to me that the sugar companies -- one and all -- have begun to stiff people on sugar. 4 lb bags.

My canister holds a 5 lb bag of sugar. Since I got married and started actually grocery shopping, I've bought 5 lb bags of sugar. In November, I bought 5 lb bags of sugar.

Yesterday, I was forced to buy a 4lb bag. It was either that or the 10 lb bag and I don't have the room to store one of those. So I had to buy this pansy-ass 4 lb bag of sugar.

What really burns my britches is that I'll bet it cost me just as much as I used to pay for 5. Oooooooh, I was so mad!!! Then I realized that it's been happening for years. Remember when you used to buy a pound of bacon? It's 12 oz now. Lots of things that used to be packaged in pounds are 12 oz. And now the sugar. Flour won't be far behind.

Dh even half-jokingly said that soon they may start packaging eggs by the deca instead of the dozen. I shudder to think he may be right.

*sigh* It also torqued me off that I had no other choice. It wasn't one brand of sugar, it was all of them. It's a conspiracy, I tell you! A conspiracy!
3/15/2007 09:12:00 AM : : Sela Carsen : : 4 Comments

4 Comments:

The 12 oz. size.
I guess they're going metric for fit.

Says Don Herron, a Canadian comedian, "If God had meant us to go metric, he would have given us
ten apostles."


Congrats on the shortlist.

Ivan

By Blogger ivan, at 11:54 AM  

I know exactly how you feel. I hate it when every company packages their things the same way - then you can't express your displeasure by buying the competitor's stuff. It's very frustrating.

Congrats on being shortlisted.

By Blogger Denise Patrick, at 2:13 PM  

Price of a gallon of milk jumped from $2.78 to $3.07 in two weeks time here! For a family that buys them 3 at a time--where can I put a cow in my backyard?
Shriek

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:46 PM  

I noticed the shift to 4 lb. bags of sugar here at least two years ago. And you're right about the smaller packages of bacon -- and yet, our serving sizes are larger than ever. This does not compute.

By Blogger Robin L. Rotham, at 1:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich