Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


Word of the Day

Thursday, April 27, 2006
Exercised.

Not Denise Austin, either. It's a peculiarly Southern word that means ticked off.

For example, "People get exercised when they feel someone is taking advantage of them." I just heard it on the radio and it occurred to me that it's probably one of those words that makes Northerners shake their heads.
4/27/2006 03:18:00 PM : : Sela Carsen : : 5 Comments

5 Comments:

Y'all are so cute when ya use them Southern words.

By Blogger Kristen Painter, at 4:44 PM  

You are so right! I didn't even know that Southern word. If someone said that to me I'd think they were saying "Exorcised" and wonder if they were possessed! Great post Miss Sela.

By Blogger Jennifer McKenzie, at 10:51 PM  

Huh?
I recognize it - and I'm even further North.
I just checked. That use is standard english.
My Merriam-Webster - to cause anxiety, alarm or indignation.

By Blogger Bernita, at 9:33 AM  

The only time I've ever heard that word spoken has been with a distinctly Southern accent, so I figured it was a Southern thing. Maybe it's an Old Guard word because it's also something very few young people say.

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 1:53 PM  

How funny. I can eve hear the drawl when I read the word. Maybe southerners just tend to use it more often...

By Blogger April, at 10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich