Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


Refulgence

Friday, January 20, 2006
I know. I haven't updated in a few days, but I've had a good reason. I've been really boring.

Still writing on TRTWD, which still needs a new title, despite Raine and Bernita's valiant efforts.

I haven't got anything inspiring to say and no one has ticked me off enough that I feel the need to rant.

Although I did find a really neat word yesterday. I was reading a 1998 Regency anthology and found this sentence: "His refulgent Hussar boots shone scarcely less than the gold fobs at his waist and the gold brocade waistcoat that a stickler might have considered more suited to the ballroom."

My mind's eye was temporarily blinded.

But I like that word, refulgent. I don't even know what it means and I like it. It's like buttah. Great mouth-feel. Wait. I looked it up. The dictionary says it means "a radiant or resplendent quality. Brilliant." Pretty much what I thought it was, but I'm going to have to use that word in this ms. I'll just toss it in somewhere for fun.

Anyway, one of my neighbors made me a deal. She takes ds for the afternoon today (she's even picking him up from pre-school!) and I take her youngest for the afternoon tomorrow. Works for me! I've got a lot to do, so I'd best get to it.

Huzzah for my refulgence! (I'm going to use that word til it don't shine no more.)
1/20/2006 10:05:00 AM : : Sela Carsen : : 4 Comments

4 Comments:

My new word lately has been cantankerous.

By Blogger Kristen Painter, at 1:03 PM  

logorrhea \law-guh-REE-uh\, noun:
Excessive talkativeness or wordiness.

Probably applies to all us writers, at times. ;)

By Blogger Deborah, at 7:10 PM  

I get that word of the day thing, recently: quondam \KWAHN-duhm; KWAHN-dam\, adjective:
Having been formerly; former; sometime.
I love the way it 'rounds' out the mouth as you say it. Like a luscious, silky mouthful of slightly melting ice cream.

By Blogger vanessa jaye, at 7:33 PM  

Kristen, your word or your mood? ;P

I've had logorrhea before. It's never a pretty sight and often involves the generous application of alcohol.

Quondam. I like it. Right off the top of my head, it reminds me of TH White's The Once and Future King: Quondam rex, rex futuram. I may have that wrong. I think it sounds very strong.

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich