Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


Progress

Monday, January 09, 2006
Amazing. I am the turtlest of writers, struggling for scenes, sentences, words that work. And yet, yesterday I wrote 7 pages of TRTWD. Today I've written 2 more. That's a total of 10 pages that are, to paraphrase Wayne and Garth, "flying out of my butt." Ew. Ok, they're better than that sounds.

It's dark, too. No Regency romp, no drawing room comedy here. This is tough stuff and surprisingly timely, considering the effect of war on soldiers who've come home damaged in body and soul. In the original version, Simon (my brooding Alpha male) returned home but suffered flashbacks, although they were skimmed over more in the story. In this version, it's much closer to home. He is a broken man, badly scarred within and without. And Tessa (my intrepid heroine who I must be careful not to make so nurturing that she becomes a doormat) has a brother who left his soul and a portion of his mind on the battlefield and seems to be waiting for his body to join them.

I've done some preliminary research on what was called "shellshock" in WW1, and is now termed CSR in the Gulf Wars. Both of which are different from PTSD, as I discovered.

But you know me. It's new and different now so I'm all excited. I'm crossing my fingers that this one comes through. So far, so good.

BTW, it needs a new title. As I mentioned at eHq, The Regency That Wouldn't Die has kind of a negative vibe to it. Any thoughts?
1/09/2006 03:06:00 PM : : Sela Carsen : : 5 Comments

5 Comments:

How about The Frantic Author's Secret Forgotten Shiek's Regency Baby That She Will Learn To Love Again?
(duck, run...)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:34 PM  

Ransomed from the Rack: A Tormented Writhing Regency.

Seriously, go to the "R's" and let your word associations run free.

By Blogger Bernita, at 8:40 AM  

There are day's I'll take 10 pages any way I can get them, even if it means they fly out of my butt. (Luckily this actual event has never happened to me...)

Sounds like you're doing great with this! I stink a titles, so I'm not going to be much help to you there at all :(

By Blogger K.A.S., at 9:44 PM  

Rename it repeatedly. Do the same thing with characters. Make sure your early readers get a copy with four different titles, and that your main character's name changes at least twice (once to a name you later give to a decidedly minor character).

If they still understand the story, they might actually be qualified to serve as early readers.

By the way, if anything flies out of my butt, I'm checking into rehab.

By Blogger Mark Pettus, at 10:24 PM  

Yeah, Raine. You'd better duck and run, missy. That would make the abbreviated title TFASFSRBTSWLTLA!

Ooooh. I like writhing. I'll have to work that word in somewhere.

Thanks for visiting, Karen! Good to see you here. Now go write!

Mark, you're messing with me, right? You're one of my characters sent to torment me. I'll rename you, alright!

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich