Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


Friends

Friday, December 30, 2005
My house is looking really good right now. Even though Shriek wasn't able to make it, another friend from NC came down with her two girls. They only stayed one night and left late yesterday afternoon, but the kids had a fantastic time together -- no major meltdowns! A and I had so much fun talking that we were up until 12:30 Wednesday night.

We met when we were stationed at Langley AFB in Hampton, VA, and we lived in the same neighborhood. Her eldest was just a few months older than mine and she had just had her youngest. In fact, we arranged for my dd to go to her house when I went into labor with ds. Living in Hampton was great for me. We were finally out of the hell-hole known as Ft Polk (if an Army wife won't go there, you know it's bad!), I was finally working my way out of the pit of PPD, dh worked less than 10 minutes away and was home every night with almost no TDYs, much less deployments. It was a great neighborhood, too.

A was part of the informal mom's group that we formed in the neighborhood, so we got together almost every week at someone's home -- major incentive to keep the house tidy. After a while, it even got so that we'd just pop over anytime and at least once a week, we'd be on the phone at 4pm saying "What are you having for dinner?"
"Leftovers."
"Us, too. You bring yours, we'll serve ours, and we'll get everyone fed with a minimum of fuss." Those were the best dinners.

She lives in Fayette-Nam now and let's just say she has a unique outlook on the place. She's extremely intelligent with a quirky sense of humor and she says I'm one of the few people who make mental leaps in the same direction she does. Being a childhood geek apparently serves me well in my friendships.

She was my friend while I was pg with ds and then the following year before we all PCSd to different parts of the world.

When I went into labor and had ds at home, her dh was the one who came to get dd.

She never made me feel like a freak when I had Bell's Palsy and helped me keep my sense of humor when I had to hold my lips together to suck water through a straw.

She took the kidlets when I had two wisdom teeth removed on the same day.

And when I had both my ingrown toenails removed on the same day the next week.

We nearly killed ourselves laughing when I told her how, 5 weeks postpartum, I leaked breast milk through my taffeta evening gown at the squadron Christmas party.

It was so great to see her again.

I wish Shriek could have been here, too. Keep her in prayers as she heals and her dh as well. Apparently the crash injured 3 other people and he's really torn up about it.
12/30/2005 08:16:00 AM : : Sela Carsen : : 3 Comments

3 Comments:

Happy New Year!

By Blogger Nell Dixon, at 11:57 AM  

Good thoughts going out to your friends. ANd only the best wishes fro you an your family in 2006.

Happy New Year Sela!

By Blogger Sasha White, at 9:01 AM  

Thinking good thoughts for your friend as well. Glad you had a great holiday visit.

Happy New Year!

By Blogger K.A.S., at 12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich