Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


Busy Bunny

Saturday, January 14, 2006
Today I spent half my time perusing this site on Correct Forms of Address so I wouldn't screw up people's names and titles in this story. Yikes. I'm sure I've still gotten it wrong in several places, but after a while my brain just stopped processing the information. I swear, everyone seems to have had at least four different names back then. It's complicated.

I finished Chapter One. Naturally, I didn't realize it until I'd sat and stared at it (and played innumerable games of Spider Solitaire) for half an hour. I knew the scene was over, I just didn't know what to do next. Duh! New chapter!

So now I'm on Chapter Two and finally in my hero's POV. Thank goodness. I've been dying to figure out what's going on in his head because he's acting like a real jack-ass.

Page 17 and I haven't given up on these people yet. That's a good sign, folks. A very good sign.

The tummy bug is gone again. This time for good, I hope. I sacked out on the couch after the kids got home. Thank goodness the children didn't take a wild hair to go running down the street naked while I was asleep!

But I think I'm done for the night. 4 new pages isn't bad. I still have the feeling I'm rushing it a bit, but because of the way I write, I'm always better off to add more later than slash things. I write very sparely and have a tendency to push my reader to conclusions without giving her enough support or background. We'll see.

Interesting fact before I go. The phrase "What fresh hell is this?" is actually a very modern saying. The story goes that Dorothy Parker coined the phrase one day when she was interrupted by the telephone and that's how she answered the phone from then on. Just FYI!
1/14/2006 10:47:00 PM : : Sela Carsen : : 8 Comments

8 Comments:

Chapter One is complete!!! I must say, BRAVO.

Doesn't it seem, (and it might just be me) that the first chapter takes an eternity? You want the perfect hook, a good intro to your characters, to set the story, etc etc. You can't cram it all up in one part, just gotta let the people do their thing. They generally take over anyway. Still, I always obsess over my first chapter, so if I can get past it, it's like a miracle. Which is why I say keep up the great work!

Oh, and can I just say how happy I am to find someone STARTING an MS rather than finishing it?? I was starting to feel really really out of the loop here. Bravo for you!

By Blogger Isabelle Santiago, at 1:47 AM  

I love Dorothy Parker.

Hope you're feelin better.

By Blogger Eva Gale, at 2:00 PM  

Woohoo on beating the bug! Bigger one on finishing the chapter! Back into the abyss!

I have a friend who is a Parker fan, lol. Love that phrase! That same friend has a really great article on "Front End Alignment" that works great for setting up your story in the first three chapters. I'm incomplete without it. ;) I love starting a new story. Editing or ending is so hard for me.

Also a big believer in layering after the first rough. Get the story out, then come back after the chars are fully developed to get it smoother. :)

Best of luck,
Dee

By Blogger Dee Tenorio, at 2:29 AM  

The old horticulture joke gets me every time: You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think. LOL

Hey Dee -- Who has this fabulous article and where can I read it? Sounds like something I might be able to use.

Thanks for stopping by, y'all.

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 8:47 AM  

Dorothy Parker rocks.

By Blogger Kristen Painter, at 4:23 PM  

~choke~
My husband refers to the upright ladies in the local gardening club as "the (w)hor(e)s de culture."
But then you'd be surprised at how downright bitchy some can get over who's got the best begonias.

By Blogger Bernita, at 5:57 AM  

Love the trivia! I wish I could answer the phone that way and get away with it!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:59 PM  

I write very sparsely too, but I'm realizing in the midst of my edits for Liquid Silver that I like the word 'but' a lot. It appeared over 400 times in the friggin' manuscript! What a pain in the ass to take them all out!

By Blogger Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series, at 10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich