Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


Sin City

Thursday, October 06, 2005
***SPOILERS AHEAD***

You know, there's something very appealing about a hero who just won't effin' die! Ok, ok. So a couple of them do, but it takes major, concerted effort. Bruce Willis? OMG. So he's getting up there. It doesn't matter. He's totally got that Sean Connery thing going on. Mickey Rourke (sp?) has never been a favorite of mine, but his character worked for me. Maybe it was the make-up. I could pretend it wasn't really him. And Clive Owen? Do not get me started. Complete 100% heroic anti-hero material. And romantic to boot. I wasn't sure about his girl (Rosario Dawson), but that line about her being "my warrior woman, my Valkyrie." *sigh* Slaughterhouse poetry.

Yes, there are problems with this movie -- some iffy editing (Hey, if I caught it, you know there are issues), excessive, gratuitous, graphic violence which is not mitigated at all by the fact that the film is shot about 80% in black and white. No really deep characters, but what can you expect from a comic book? Oh. Excuse me. Graphic novel. Elijah Wood creeped the bejeebers out of me without saying a single word.

Still, there was something viscerally appealing about this film. From the first moment, I was captivated, even when I had to cover my eyes. Theme? Redemption is a bitch.

I'm in a curious mini-Goth phase this week. All black yesterday, black eyeliner, red lipstick. More black today, more eyeliner, more lipstick, with the addition of the black nail polish I bought for Halloween. And I feel compelled to listen to angry music. Not usually a Marilyn Manson fan, but I'm just in the mood for it. This is what happens during TDYs. I get weird. Watching Sin City probably didn't help.

In writing news: Yesterday I mailed off a short story (1011 words) to Woman's World. Their response times vary from 3 weeks to 8 months, so I'll just put it in the back of my mind for now.

I wrote more in Big Bad Wolf. By gosh. I think I've got it. Finally. More writing today before ds goes to speech therapy. I had no idea how difficult it was to make the "sh" sound. Ds says it like "ts." But he's come a very long way since we started this 2 1/2 years ago and I'm proud of him.
10/06/2005 08:22:00 AM : : Sela Carsen : : 4 Comments

4 Comments:

I love Sin City! One of my favorite movies. And I absolutely adore Marv! I'd cross the street to see him. He could buy me a drink at that old scummy bar, and let him whisper sweet somethings into my ear...

By Blogger Vivi Anna, at 1:24 PM  

that was a weird movie! like a train wreck. Interesting but weird =)

By Blogger Amie Stuart, at 7:18 PM  

TAG! Check out my blog. I wish I got to watch movies. Kiddos are too scared for most of them, and I'm too scared to trust babysitters. tis life.

By Blogger Unknown, at 11:23 PM  

Came here to tag you too, but been pipped to the post!

By Blogger Kate Allan, at 7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich