Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


Curiously unaffected

Wednesday, September 28, 2005
By today's anniversary. As a matter of fact, I'd forgotten all about it until I saw it on the calendar.

A year ago I had cancer.

At the time, the thought of it consumed me. Today, I got the kids off to school, did some writing, cut out coupons, wrote my menu and my grocery list and went shopping. Specially marked cereals, buy one, get one free.

At the time, I had received my household goods only a fortnight before. There were boxes everywhere. No more boxes now, except for the garage.

At the time, my mom came down to take care of me and my family. Now, she cares for my step-dad, whose health is in a slow downward spiral.

The entire hospital experience was uneventful except for the fact that my body refuses to give up any blood. It took 14 sticks to get a blood sample and put the IV in before surgery.

After the first night, I couldn't sleep. I slept all day, so by night time, I was awake. I put on my robe and saddled up the IV tower and wandered around the halls. That's when I saw the women who probably wouldn't be walking out of the hospital.

I think I was the youngest woman there, but it was difficult to tell. Pain has a way of making people look older than they are. Almost no one was alone. Family members slept uncomfortably on retro pleather couches.

And I was grateful. To the doctor who caught the first hint of a problem and for all the medical professionals who came after. To my family who pitched in and kept it together while mom was out of commission. To God for the chance to live -- and live better than I had.

So get regular physical exams. Get regular Pap smears. Don't skimp on exams because of the cost, the pain or the embarrassment.

Happy No More Cancer Day!!
9/28/2005 01:33:00 PM : : Sela Carsen : : 15 Comments

15 Comments:

I'm glad you're okay. The world is a richer place for having you in it.

By Blogger Kristen Painter, at 2:54 PM  

Indeed

((((Selah)))))

By Blogger Amie Stuart, at 6:16 PM  

Wow. I had no idea. I'm so, so glad you got through it and got to have a very normal day today. Amen to Kristen! ((Hugs)) darlin'.

By Blogger Brenda, at 8:01 PM  

(((Sela)))

I'm glad that you got through it.

Love you petal!

Biddy

By Blogger Unknown, at 2:59 AM  

Ditto Kristen.

This green marble would be boring without you.

Smooch.

By Blogger Eva Gale, at 10:59 AM  

Horray for making through one year! It is really important. And yay for you!!!! I am so proud of you. You have done really really well.

By Blogger Michelle Styles, at 11:42 AM  

Hallelujah. I'm so thankful, Sela, that you're still with us.

Happy Anniversary, sweetheart.

By Blogger Anna Louise Lucia, at 11:51 AM  

(((special hug)))

By Blogger Nell Dixon, at 12:35 PM  

A great milestone and the blessing of an ordinary day. I agree - the world is brighter sharing it with you.

Lori

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:30 PM  

Congrats on being a survivor!

By Blogger Silma, at 9:35 PM  

(((Sela))) Happy Anniversary, babe.

By Blogger vanessa jaye, at 6:41 PM  

Happy anniversary!! hugs!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:32 PM  

I'm so glad you made it through.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:07 AM  

So, so much love for you, sweetheart.

By Blogger Julie Cohen, at 8:20 AM  

Every mother's fear and the courage that overcomes it.
Salute you, dear one.

By Blogger Bernita, at 1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich