Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


Attraction

Monday, February 07, 2005
What is it about me that attracts people? Now, if I was saying this in relation to 20-something hardbodies, it would be disgustingly vain. But no. I attract old people and middle aged weirdos with nothing better to do.

I made my customary trek to Starbucks this morning and was busily tapping away on Bertie (my Alphasmart, for those who don't know me) when suddenly this woman who looks like Debby Downer from SNL just starts chatting away.

At this point, I made a bad decision. I responded. Duh! Never, ever respond! The approved solultion is to make a non-committal noise and go back to whatever you're doing. But nooooo. Not me. I have to be polite and friendly and outgoing.

I swear, extroversion is going to be the death of me. I'll talk to anybody who talks to me first. It's an oddball American trait, more prevalent in the South. Brits caught in line with me at the supermarket would get this trapped, terrified look in their eye when I started chatting with them.

But this time, I was actually working. Right in the midst of the immortal line "How did I end up in a remake of Bullitt?" *sigh* I tried, I really did, to go back to work, but she kept chatting. Bertie turned himself off several times as I attempted to get back to the story before the next round of intrusion.

They rearranged the Starbucks so that all the tables but one are in one seating area. I'm going to have to try for the anti-social table next time. When the weather warms up I can sit outside, but until then, I'm getting kharmic brownie points for excessive politeness.

At least I'd better.
2/07/2005 01:16:00 PM : : Sela Carsen : : 4 Comments

4 Comments:

Perfect this response:

"It's so nice to meet you, but I'm working right now so I'm sorry, I can't chat. Hope you have a nice day."Or stake out the anti-social table. ;-)

By Blogger Julie Cohen, at 5:41 PM  

I suspect it because you make people feel instantly at ease. It's a gift. Be proud. :)

By Blogger Kate Allan, at 6:13 PM  

Writing Julie's lines on my hand in permanent marker for reference purposes.

Thanks Kate. Darn it, I'm nice and people like me! LOL!!

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 8:45 PM  

Might I suggest...headphones (attached to a real or immagined CD player)

*ggg* guaranteed to work like a charm

By Blogger Amie Stuart, at 11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich