Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


I'm back

Wednesday, May 03, 2006
I don't know why it never occurs to me to just unplug everything and start over. It just seems too simple. Anyway, apparently I had static build up in my internet connection and that was the answer. Unplug. Weird.

Anyway, I've been thinking again. I know. Everyone step away.

I hate that damn Regency. I honestly do. I don't care about these characters. They're boring. Really, truly boring. Their entire situation is just so predictable. Not just because I know they're going to get a HEA, but because everything leading up to it is exactly like a dozen other stories I've read. Just because my heroine has a unique quirk doesn't make the whole thing original.

I'm not even in a middle of the story slump. I know what happens next. I just don't care.

I think it's time to round-file this one. I know, I know. I've done it before. But I'm thinking more in terms of keeping the print-out in a folder, but deleting the file from my hard drive so it doesn't keep haunting me.

Do you have any idea how long it's been since I worked on an original idea? Well, I did with Daughter of Privilege, but that's it. In years, it feels like. I've been going back to things in my idea folder, but I haven't added anything new there in a very long time.

I think it's time for a mind declutter as well as a file declutter.

I'll let you know how it goes.
5/03/2006 10:56:00 AM : : Sela Carsen : : 11 Comments

11 Comments:

yahooooooooooo there's nothing better than starting a new story--except chocolate!

By Blogger Amie Stuart, at 1:02 PM  

I'm dying to start a new project.

Isn't it funny how edits and other things keeping you from that just make you long for the madness even more?

By Blogger Sandra Ruttan, at 5:17 PM  

Don't kill it! This could just be your mood. To be honest, I'd take great characterization/author voice, over *originality* any day. It's caring about the characters that keeps me engaged. Just put it aside for now.

By Blogger vanessa jaye, at 5:51 PM  

Don't tuck it TOO far away.

But yeah, there's a joy in starting a new story unlike no other!

And it may even motivate you to gt back to this one. ;-)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:03 AM  

I'm with Jayne.

By Blogger Bernita, at 7:22 AM  

I hear you! I re-read my story that an agent is nibbling and I thought "Man this is awful! I'm completely not interested in writing this". I wanted to get back to my new project. But the iron is hot, so I have to crack the whip and get back to the characters. The story is going to look completely different though.
What about changing the storyline a little? Would tweaking it, slightly, make it more interesting? (says the unpublished, brash Jen)

By Blogger Jennifer McKenzie, at 9:02 AM  

Cece -- I know!! I love that feeling! If only I could remember it...

Sandra -- I think that's part of it. I've been in "fixing things" mode for so long I've forgotten the joy of creating something for the first time.

Jaye -- I never truly throw anything away. It'll still be around, just not so it makes me feel horribly guilty every time I look at my files.

Raine -- I honestly hope that I can put this one away forever. The only good thing is that I may be able to mine it in the future for the bits that DID work and use them somewhere else.

Bernita -- Thank you!

Jen -- That made me chuckle in a completely unhinged way. I've been "tweaking" this story for 4 yrs. I'm done tweaking. I just need to move on.

Thanks everyone! I finally read a book yesterday. It's been a while since I was able to do that without feeling guilty that I wasn't using the time to write.

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 9:44 AM  

Make sure you burn a copy of the document onto disc and tuck it into the file too so that, IF you should want to come back to this story, you don't have to re-type everything.

Good luck! New stories are so addictive!

By Blogger Crystal Jordan, at 10:53 AM  

I agree, don't kill it, just put the story in hibernation and move on to something that grabs you. I have three half finished novels in hibernation. But there's nothing like getting all fired up with something new. Go for it. :-)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:55 PM  

Crystal -- Funny you should mention that. I just backed up everything in my writing file to my Jump Drive. I hadn't backed up in ages, either! So I've still got it all with me one way or another.

Alexandra -- Thanks for the encouragement. I feel soooo much better already taking the break to reconnect those creative discovery cells.

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 12:54 PM  

Hey Sela,

LOL, I totally know what you mean. I can't remember the last thing I wrote original. Wait...it was June of 05. Everyting else has been revamp, rewrite or edits.

I'm a little afraid of something new, now.

Wishing you luck!
Dee

By Blogger Dee Tenorio, at 2:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich