Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


What's Up With That?

Sunday, December 11, 2005
I can't write on the weekends anymore. I've spent the last couple of days staring at the wip, thinking that maybe I should write something. Cuz, y'know, that's what I do. I'm a writer.

Nothing. Nada. Zip, zilch, zero.

The bedroom won't work for a variety of reasons.

I should take the Alphasmart into the living room, then, right? Ah. You have apparently forgotten about the Monkey Children. If I leave this spot -- this one right here -- then they descend upon me like ... like ... give me a minute. I'll think of something good.

Baking has yet to occur, although that was the stated project of the weekend. I even had the kitchen tidy for a while yesterday. For a while. Then I cooked and destroyed it again. Seems to me like cooking is inimical to cleaning. I can do one or the other, but not both. Since I'd rather eat than clean, the choice seems simple, but in order to cook, I HAVE to clean.

Dude. This housewife thing sucks. I can't win.

Anyway, I've been considering the nature of comedy again. The current wip is billed as another paranormal romantic comedy. No zombies this time. But is it really a comedy? What makes something a comedy? It starts out somewhat suspensefully, although I think I need to step that scene back a bit and slow it down -- too rushed. So, aside from a kind of tongue-in-cheek tone, it's not really laugh-out-loud hilarious. Does it need to be?

Does a comedy need to be fall-down funny to be called that? Or will an overall cock-eyed view of the world be enough? (And that pun would only be intentional if I wrote erotica *gg*)

Like monkeys on a bunch of bananas? Too wordy.
Like dung beetles on a ball of poop? Too gross.
Like trolls to a flame war? Too cyber-obscure.
Suggestions?
12/11/2005 10:44:00 AM : : Sela Carsen : : 8 Comments

8 Comments:

Trolls to a flame war - love it!

Hang in there. The kids will grow up eventually, and if we're lucky (or really bitchy) I hear they leave home! Now there's something to look forward to on a bleak day >G<

By Blogger K.A.S., at 1:34 PM  

You're tagged!

15 things about you and books.

http://undefinablequalities.blogspot.com/2005/12/i-am-still-here-still.html

Have fun!!

By Blogger Eva Gale, at 2:02 PM  

Sela, I don't think comedy has to be fall-down funny--NO.
I personally prefer a more subtle, dry sort of humor, something that gives me a little twisted sort of smile.
But I guess it's a matter of personal preference.
Write what you like!! :-)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:59 PM  

Sela, needless to say, I recognized a certain werewolfe's recent public apparance. lol. There's humor practically laced through every single paragraph of the excerpt (if not every sentence). It's observational,and totally grounded in the unique way heroine notices and describes stuff. It doesn't need to be changed to be made more obvious, it works as is. It's wry, and sly and I love it. I'm very surprised at the comments. Horses for course, and all that, I guess.

By Blogger vanessa jaye, at 3:00 AM  

Just a question out of the blue of idea association - do werewolves have fleas?

By Blogger Bernita, at 5:45 AM  

Only if he hasn't taken a bath recently. ;-) But mine are colorblind in both forms.

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 8:01 AM  

I can't get anything done with the husband is around, so I hear you loud and clear. Lately, my best bet has been going to a coffee shop with my cp.

By Blogger Jill Monroe, at 7:46 PM  

... like apes on Attenborough...

It's kind of an English thing. Richard Attenborough (the director/actor, Ghandi, Jurrasic Park) has a brother, David, who does natural history programs in the UK. One of his more famous programs showed him with a tribe of gorillas... right in the middle of them... and the cubs were all over him, putting grass up his nose, the works ('least that's how I remember it years later).

Ahem... right... well... I'll be leaving then...

By Blogger Tsavo Leone, at 3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich