Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


Sometimes I Smile

Wednesday, November 30, 2005
Sometimes when I'm actually writing and not stuck in the midst of a What Was I Thinking? moment, I read back over what I've done and I just smile. What I write makes me happy. Unless it's complete dreck. Then I whine and fuss and "mitch and boan," as Jaye likes to say. But this isn't dreck. And it made me smile. From the rough draft of BIG BAD WOLF:

God. She tasted even better than she smelled, purer, simpler, richer, more complex. He could spend decades sifting out the different flavors of Debra. She stood rigid in his arms and he didn’t know what to do about it, didn’t know how to help her. Maddox raised his mouth from hers and stared down into her face, water dripping from her eyelashes, running in streams down her cheeks, dangling at her chin before falling into oblivion.

“Please, Debra. Need me.” He’d never begged before. Never needed to before, but he was sick and hurt and if she didn’t help him now … He couldn’t even finish the thought. Couldn’t understand why she wouldn’t help him, prayed that she would.

He bent to her face again, but not to kiss her. Not right away. Those drops of water slid over her skin as though they had the right. His tongue caught one beside her lips, and the taste of her exploded on his tongue, made him greedy for more. More drops enticed him back to her lips and he lapped at her mouth, pulling her closer when she finally opened to him, letting him in of her own will.

Debra’s fingers pressed into his chest, sharp nails leaving marks. He savored the sting of pleasure and drew in a hissing breath before he opened his eyes again and looked at her.

His vision was clearing, the poison leaving his body. Maddox looked over at his shoulder and watched the sluggish trail of silver-tainted blood seep down his arm and drip to the floor, swirl into the drain. The last atom of silver left his body and he heaved a great lungful of steamy air, finally warm all the way through.

“Thank you for healing me, Debra.” Then the weakness took him.
11/30/2005 08:05:00 AM : : Sela Carsen : : 5 Comments

5 Comments:

Hey, that's good stuff! And you aren't published yet because?

By Blogger Kristen Painter, at 10:01 AM  

Because my style is YA dontcha know. ;)

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 11:00 AM  

You aren't pubbed yet??! :-O

Ha! Well, that IS good stuff, lady, and don't let anybody tell ya different. (Nothing WRONG with YA, and that's one person's opinion--but I'd better keep my comment about that comment to myself...)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:48 AM  

Well, it is definitely in rough draft. Even now, I can see things I want to change. Her name is in there too often -- it's disrupting. There are turns of phrase that need sharpening, massaging. Still, it makes me smile.

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 3:19 PM  

Original.
You go, girl.

By Blogger Bernita, at 7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich