Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


Moroccan Meatballs, aka Kefta with Tomato and Egg

Monday, November 21, 2005
Yeah, it's a little weird, but it's really, really good! I make this for a weekend lunch. If you make lots and lots of extra meatballs, you can freeze them for the next round.

Here's the deal. The meatballs aren't that unusual, except they have a touch of cinnamon in them. Don't flinch. It's yummy. The sauce calls for a rather obscure spice mixture called ras el hanout. Darn near impossible to find in my part of the country. Seriously. I may have to order some online because it just isn't around here. Anyway, in the absence of ras el hanout, I suggest an Italian or Greek spice blend.

The recipe also calls for lamb. Please. At those prices? I use regular ground beef.

Kefta with Egg and Tomato

8 oz ground lamb
1 onion, finely chopped
2 oz fresh breadcrumbs
5 eggs
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Small bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
2 Tbs olive oil
A little butter
14 oz can chopped tomatoes
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp ras el hanout
Small bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper
Crusty bread, to serve

In a bowl, knead the ground lamb with the onion, breadcrumbs, 1 egg, cinnamon, parsley and salt and pepper until well mixed. Lift the mixture in your hand and slap it down into the bowl several times. Take a small amount of mixture and shape it into a small ball about the size of a walnut. Repeat with the remaining mixture to make about 12 balls.

Heat the olive oil with the butter in a large heavy frying pan. Fry the meatballs until nicely browned, turning them occasionally so they cook evenly. Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, ras el hanout and most of the coriander. Bring to the boil, cook for a few minutes to reduce the liquid, and roll the balls in the sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Make room for the remaining eggs in the pan and crack them into spaces between the meatballs. Cover the pan, reduce the heat and cook for about 3 minutes, or until the eggs are just set. Sprinkle with the remaining coriander and serve in the pan, with chunks of bread to use as scoops.

NOTE: There's not a chance in hell of me setting a sizzling pan down in front of a 5yo, so I just serve it on a plate.
11/21/2005 02:19:00 PM : : Sela Carsen : : 5 Comments

5 Comments:

Ooo yummy! How can I be hungry again? I've just had huge helpings of risotto.. ho hum

By Blogger Unknown, at 5:57 PM  

Finally! A dish that sounds good even to my favorite picky eater! *gg*

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 6:17 PM  

You know, if I had known about that spice mix sooner, I would have picked some up for you when we were in Morocco!

By Blogger Kristen Painter, at 9:51 AM  

When you were in Morocco, we hadn't met yet. Now I'm able to beam my wishes directly to your brain.

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 10:05 AM  

Mmmm.... love kefta! My one regret about my time in the mideast-not learning how to cook their food!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich