Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


Things I Would Like to Blog About

Wednesday, March 28, 2007
But Shouldn't.

Because I'm supposed to be a professional here and you can't go around slamming people who are in your field. Or really even snarking on them, even though it's unbelievably tempting. Especially when they're selling 18 gajillion copies and you're...not. Because that just looks bad.

But I can't seem to help myself, so here goes.

1. Series that jumped the shark* five books ago.

I mean, really. Publishers must be riding all up these author's rear ends to make them keep writing these stories. Maybe it's me, but after about five books, I'm pretty much ready to move on. If you're going to introduce me to a family with 16 children and they each get their own book...well, I'm probably not going to get on that train. Because, you see, it's never just the children, is it? No. It's their cousins. And best friends. And their best friend's cousins. And their biggest enemies. And their biggest enemies best friends' cousins. They ALL have to get their own freakin' book.

Seriously. Stop while you're ahead.

Kudos to Angela Knight, by the way, for finishing off a connecting thread in her last book, Master of Swords. I'm so glad she brought that to a graceful conclusion and that the new Mageverse books will have something fresh going on.

2. Series or authors that you can't stop reading, even though they jumped the shark five books ago.

It's a sickness, I tell you. I was talking to Jax this morning about books that we know are bad. If you ask us, we'll tell you they're bad. But we keep reading them. Why?!? Why do I do this to myself? The poorly drawn characters, the recycled plots, the repetetive love scenes. But, as I said, it's like eating stale Easter Peeps. They're disgusting. But you just keep nibbling on 'em.

*Thanks to Kristen for reminding me of this phrase, which means, according to the Urban Dictionary: a term to describe a moment when something that was once great has reached a point where it will now decline in quality and popularity.
3/28/2007 11:25:00 AM : : Sela Carsen : : 10 Comments

10 Comments:

Oh man, I know what you mean...don't you hate when stuff is dragged on for too long?

By Blogger Rhonda Helms, at 11:55 AM  

Comparing stale Easter peeps to series that have gone on too long is so not fair to the Easter peeps. lol

By Blogger Kristen Painter, at 12:07 PM  

Hey, feel free to vent. Smart move not to mention said author or series though. I just read a book by an author I normall love from a series I've enjoyed. It was horrendous. I kept reading it though because I wanted more clues to the series arc.

By Blogger Jaye Wells, at 4:36 PM  

"But, as I said, it's like eating stale Easter Peeps. They're disgusting. But you just keep nibbling on 'em."

Bwahahahahahaha

Love it.

By Blogger FerfeLaBat, at 5:59 PM  

I enjoyed your post. I wonder if there are as many bad book series as there are left over Easter Peeps? (I never liked peeps, so a lot I know about series that should have walked the plank.)

By Blogger EA Monroe, at 7:50 PM  

I can think of several that should have stopped at book 5 or 6.

By Blogger Bernita, at 8:33 AM  

Rhonda, I agree. Sometimes you just have to let go!

LOL Kristen!

Tawny, yes she does! I've been an AK fangirl for years. She's one of the very few authors I actually get tongue-tied around.

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 10:05 AM  

Jaye, that's the only reason I've been reading one series, but I think I've finally had enough. When I hear she's finally gotten to the last book, I'll pick it up. Until then, no more.

*gg* Ferfe. I've got Easter Peeps on the brain these days.

ea, that's a terrifying thought. That all the Easter Peeps in the world are a small stack compared to all the bad series out there.

Bernita, I can think of a couple that should have stopped at book 1 or 2.

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 10:08 AM  

I sooo understand about long series. I hate when they go on and on, bok after book, and I can't see the end of them, just putting them out for the sake of another book out. Ugh!

By Blogger Tempest Knight, at 3:34 PM  

Sing it, sister. Its especially horrible when the series in question is one that you had loved and now the craptacularness of the recent books messes with your love of the old books.

*pout*

By Blogger Arin Rhys, at 8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich