Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


You sure write funny

Tuesday, April 12, 2005
And that means exactly...what?

As I attempt to plot out the new ms, I was struck by a thought. (Dang. Those things hurt!) How is this funny? It's not a situational comedy, where I'm putting people in a setting that's bound to bring a few laughs. None of my characters are zany, wacky, out there people.

It's more the way that normal people approach normal, or even bigger than normal, stuff in life. Their issues are big to them and, at least for Bane (what the hell kind of name is Bane? What was I thinking? And now I'm stuck with it because I can't think of a better one. I must have been channeling one of those cheesy romance authors for that one. But that's a blog for another day.)

So where was I? Oh yeah.

Bane's situation is painful, not just emotionally, but physically. I do love a wounded hero. And Emily's issue is more of a heart hurt that she has kept quiet for a long time. She's likely to be the funny one of this pairing and it comes entirely from the way she looks at life. Her humour isn't used just to be funny, but to deflect pain. It's the oldest use of humour in the book. She's got a choice and she'd rather laugh than cry.

Please God let me pull this off.

In plotting news, I've got my list of events about 2/3 done, including the line, "They boink." Thanks Jaye.

And I couldn't help myself. I've got a bit of intrigue in there, but no guns or car (er, carriage) chases.
4/12/2005 09:30:00 PM : : Sela Carsen : : 5 Comments

5 Comments:

Boinking always works. When in doubt, boink.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:25 AM  

Hmm...Jill and my husband seem to have the same philosophy on life...

By Blogger Kristen Painter, at 8:28 AM  

Hey! If your hero wants to be named Bane, that's his prerrogative. Who are you to argue? *vbg*

As for humor, it comes in so many different ways. I write romantic comedies because people who read my stories said they thought this or that situation was funny. Goddess knows I didn't try to be funny. But there you have it. Let your characters flow, find their rhythm.

By Blogger Silma, at 12:04 PM  

A good boink cures all.

I think the funny will just happen. Don't fret. It will just come out of you because that's how you write---dark---right?

I don't plan for anything funny I write, but when I put my character hats on and write their dialogue that's what they say. Just comes out. I have all faith that the true Sela Snark will appear--even though it wasn't plotted in.

By Blogger Eva Gale, at 12:15 PM  

I am sure it will all come out right in the end... :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich