Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


What's Wrong With Me?

Monday, March 28, 2005
I have a request. I'm nearly half done with edits. And suddenly, I don't want to work. I'm here. Blogging. I've already played 5 or 6 hands of Solitaire. I've hit all my boards. Three times. I've bloghopped. But I haven't whipped out the ms. I'm working off a printed copy, scribbling my notes in blue, then dumping the corrections in at night.

I know what's wrong. I can see too far ahead and I can't see anything at all. Both at the same time. I can see all the little things I have to do around the house -- grocery shop, clip coupons from yesterday's paper, clean the house, get ready for a trip. I can even see some of the problems in the ms -- my h needs more motivation, my H feels flat, and my ending SUCKS ROCKS!!! I decided to go back and make my villain more villainous. He needs it, but I'm a little afraid that he's more interesting than my H, hence the need to make H a more stand-up, stand-out guy.

Somebody remind me why I do this because it's making my chest hurt.
3/28/2005 09:08:00 AM : : Sela Carsen : : 14 Comments

14 Comments:

You do this because you can do it in your bunny slippers and sweats. You do this because it means being home when the kids need you. You do this because in your soul you're a writer and you can't do anything else. Don't give up. Trust me, don't ever give up and it WILL happen.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:20 AM  

You can do it. Running away doesn't solve anything.

By Blogger Kate Allan, at 11:23 AM  

Because you're pretty darn talented? A judgement I feel supremely confident in making as your cp for the last couple of years. Dude rocked in the first draft, these revisions will only make it better.

And if you're reading this comment, why are you writing!?!?!? Don't make me have to come down there and hand you your ass.

By Blogger vanessa jaye, at 2:48 PM  

Alright. The scene that was kicking my butt has been resolved. I had to remove myself from the wip for a couple of hours, but when I came back to it -- voila! Solved. And my page count came down by 1.

BTW Jaye? At my current rate of expansion, it would take both hands to hand me my ass.

But all is well and Dude still rocks. For now.

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 4:35 PM  

You just really have to stay on top of those ass-kicking moments, Suzanne! Thanks for the, er, encouragement, though. ;-)

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 8:29 AM  

Sela, you GO girl! I knew you could do it!

By Blogger Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series, at 2:57 PM  

Go Sela go!!

Have you made sure that your hero's personal stakes are high enough? Or that he has several layers to his personality?

You can do this!!

By Blogger Michelle Styles, at 1:57 AM  

This is what they're talking about when they say that writing is hard work.
You were actually doing what you needed to do by stepping away from it for a little while.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:36 PM  

Well, it seems I missed the moment for ass-kicking, but it sounds like you have The Fear. It's much harder to write or revise something when you know an editor is going to read it. At least that's how I've felt before.

You can do it!

By Blogger Julie Cohen, at 10:45 AM  

Sometimes the brain needs a little break. Hope you've gotten your "writing groove" back again. *g*

By Blogger Silma, at 10:41 AM  

I have those moments of doubt, too. All I can say is repeat after others, "You can do it!"

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:45 PM  

Julie's right. It's The Fear.

Believe me, I know the signs.

And do you know what is carved into the slimy wall of The Fear's darkest, deepest cavern, in jagged, four foot letters?

IF I DON'T FINISH IT, IT CAN NEVER BE REJECTED.

Sounds crazy. It IS crazy. But it's also true, and half the time we never see it.

Keep going, Sela! You can do it!

By Blogger Anna Louise Lucia, at 4:53 AM  

I have a host of friends. :-)

Yes, I will finish editing Dude. And I will sell Dude to the best publisher I can find. And I will write Cold and then I will edit it and sell it. And then I will write Big Bad Wolf. Edit. Sell. Because I can't not write and I may as well sell. Something's got to support that book habit of mine.

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 7:54 AM  

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a cancer stage site. It pretty much covers cancer stage related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

-----------------------------------------------------

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich