Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


Velkommen til Ansgard!

Friday, May 11, 2007
Blogging about the Norse pantheon today over at Beyond the Veil.

Lots of links about Norse mythology, lots of book recommendations for research.

I read Neil Gaiman's American Gods this week. Absolutely Amazing! I'm telling you, this is one great storyteller. It's a big honking book, too, but never once did I get bored. This, from the woman who reads and writes short stories for a reason.

It focused hugely on Odin and some of the Norse mythology like him hanging from Yggdrasil for nine days to learn secret spells and runes. The main character, Shadow, was so wonderfully drawn. I can't recommend this book enough, though some of the references were to some fairly obscure mythological beings. Not all Nordic. African, Native American, Slavic, Egyptian, Indian... they all have their place in this book.

I'm now looking forward to picking up the follow-up book, Anansi Boys.
5/11/2007 02:07:00 PM : : Sela Carsen : : 10 Comments

10 Comments:

Hey Sela! It sounds really good! I'll have to add it to my list... why does it seem to just keep growing??? :)

Cole

By Blogger Cole Reising, at 9:27 AM  

So are there any pictures in this book?
I mean what Norse mythology volume would be complete without hunky men to look at.
Yes, I know. Not every book has pictures.
I'll just get back to work. :)
Lara

By Blogger Lara Santiago, at 8:17 AM  

Sounds like something I would like! I'll have to check it out.

By Blogger Kristen Painter, at 9:35 AM  

That sounds good. I love mythology!

By Blogger Suzanne, at 8:24 AM  

I didn't care much for American Gods, but then again, I only read through page 50.

By Blogger Lift Heavy Rock, at 7:53 PM  

Ooh, you're on the downward slope. First it's reading big books. Then it's using big words. And then... well, let's just say friends stop calling because they've misplaced their dictionary.

By Blogger Babe King, at 1:41 AM  

Cole, I'm still excited about this book and I read it a week ago. That probably says something about my short term memory. *gg*

LOL Lara. No pictures, I'm afraid. But I'm pretty sure I wouldn't kick Shadow out of bed!

Kristen, I think you'd enjoy this one.

Suzanne! Haven't seen you in ages! Stopped by your blog and love the pictures of your new property. I wish you MUCH happiness there!

S Will -- great to see you posting again. Horses for courses, you know. I just loved the book, but while I think others might, you just never know.

LOL Babe. Somehow, I think I'll wear out the brakes before I get too far down the slope. You better keep your dictionary handy.

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 10:35 AM  

Hey Sela! :) Finally made my way over to your blog. Only too me forever, right?

Anyway, I love mythology. I've been obsessed with Greek mythology for a long time, although lately some of the Norse tales I've been hearing sound fascinating. Maybe I can give this a shot! :)

By Blogger Isabelle Santiago, at 1:50 PM  

Hey Isabelle! Glad to see you here! Every couple of weeks I blog over at Beyond the Veil and give just a kickstart smattering of info on one of the many pantheons of gods. I've done Classical and Norse so far and I think the next one (next Friday, May 25) is going to be on Egypt. Frankly, that one may stretch to two separate blogs!

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 5:15 PM  

I just got that book from the library, of course, with 13 other books... Yes, I know. I do have a problem.

By Blogger Arin Rhys, at 11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich