Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


Whatcha Readin'?

Sunday, October 08, 2006
Time for a new, updated list of books in the TBR pile and an overview of my most recent reads.

Recent Reads:

Jim Butcher's Storm Front, the first in the Harry Dresden Chronicles. Loved it! I'm definitely going to be searching out the rest of these funny, quirky books about the only openly practicing wizard in Chicago.

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis. It's supposed to be "a comedic romp through an unpredictable world of mystery, love and time travel." I'm on page 63 and I ain't laughin' yet. Not sure how much more time I'm going to waste on this one before I chuck it into the resale bin.

The Bounty by Beth Williamson. So sweet! Big tough bounty hunter gets sent after innocent woman who is posing as a man. He catches her after a long, hard chase and proceeds to fall in love with her, showing wit and warmth along with his protective side. A great hero.

Tanith Lee's Metallic Love, sequel to Silver Metal Lover, which I have not read. It was good. Futuristic, first person, an engaging heroine. The first lines of the book say "You're not going to like me. I apologize for that." And yet, I did. I never read Jane's story, but from what I learned about her, I like Loren better. She's proactive when she can be, but guards her reactions carefully. The final twist is only so-so, frankly. It was worth reading, but it's not a keeper.


And finally, Lover Awakened by J.R. Ward. Wow. I had to wait a while to get this book, then I teased myself with it for a few days before I finally read it. Soooooo worth the wait!! In fact, I mean to read it again, but my heart ached so badly for Zsadist that I've had to let it rest for a while. Absolutely wrenching. I think everyone knows about my slightly twisted obsession with heroes who don't have a real tight grip on sanity. Zsadist is one of the most moving heroes I've read and the battles he fights to keep himself safe from love, and his lover safe from him are incredibly touching.

Currently reading:

Miles, Mystery and Mayhem by Lois McMaster Bujold. I'm not sure yet.

The TBR pile is at 15 books. I'll update you on my progress as I can.
10/08/2006 07:48:00 AM : : Sela Carsen : : 5 Comments

5 Comments:

Doing so much blogging that it seems I now need discipline to read, let alone write.
That, or tasting and tasting again the turkey for tomorrow's Canadian Thanksgiving.
Did pick up, for the fourth time, John Champlin Gardner's GRENDEL, the Beowulf legend from the monster's point of view.
That's about as close to paranormal-swords-and-sorcery as I seem to get.

By Blogger ivan, at 10:05 PM  

I'm still working my way through the free books I got at RWA. Hubby says I can't buy any news ones until I finish those. He's such a meanie.

By Blogger Jaye Wells, at 10:45 PM  

I'm reading the ARC of Ronda Thompson's The Cursed One and loving it! Her heroes are yummy.

By Blogger Kristen Painter, at 8:46 AM  

GRENDEL sounds really interesting, Ivan. A few years ago, someone released a new translation of Beowulf and I keep forgetting to look for it when I go to the library.

Jaye, I still have a few of those in my TBR pile, too! Mostly the romantic suspenses -- I can't seem to get in the mood for those.

I'm only middlin' on RT, Kristen. I read THE DARK ONE and it was good, but it didn't wow me. I might still pick up THE CURSED ONE someday anyway. When is it coming out?

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 9:12 AM  

Glad you enjoyed it, Natalie Eve. Thanks for stopping by!

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich