Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


Monday Meandering: Book In A Week

Monday, August 21, 2006
Raise your hand if you've done a BIAW before.

How many of you, in the solitude of your office, just raised your hands? *gg*

I haven't done one in...gosh, a couple of years? I used to do them about once a month with a Yahoo group I belonged to called Gonnabeez, but I drifted out of the group and haven't done a BIAW since then.

They were tough, too. A whole week of focusing on the work. I can usually maintain that for a couple of days before I peter out. In fact, I only made my goal once out of all the BIAWs I did, but when I did, I celebrated.

See, I'm not much of a goal person. External or internal. I have, shall we say, issues with authority. Even self-imposed authority. I start getting really antsy and rebellious, even if it's to my own detriment. Self-discipline is the sort of thing I admire in other writers. Like women who can wear orange. Isn't it lovely...on her? But never on me.

But every once in a while, I can do a BIAW. Not regularly and I really have to be in a place where I know I don't have a hundred other unbreakable appointments.

So this is my BIAW week.

Some writers set goals of 75 pages a week. Which is like wearing orange. It's lovely. On them. Not for me, though.

I've set myself a daily goal of 3 pages per day. That's a lot for me. I usually putter along at one to two pages a day. Some days I don't even get that.

But this week, I commit to 3 pages a day. Even if it's dreck, and I have no doubt that a good portion of it will be.

If anyone wants to join in, feel free! Post on your blog what your goal is in words/day or pages/week or whatever, then update it daily so we can see your progress.

Gotta get writing!
8/21/2006 08:40:00 AM : : Sela Carsen : : 7 Comments

7 Comments:

Heh.
Now that you are "in work", you'll be surprised at the number of pages you'll be cranking out.

You'll have to.
The mighty presses are poised and waiting.

I found that when I was in regular work, it was pretty well 75 pages a week.

Ain't writin' like music?
Once you hit the limelight, you gotta produce and produce and produce again...Too much like work.
That's why I gave up music.

I never gave up writing. It's like Charlie Chaplin in Modern Times, putting bolt number 63 into Frame number l3, over and over and over again.
I am now "retired", but I can't turn the wheels off. 800 pages of proof copy every couple of days just to stay sane.
I probably don't drink enough.

By Blogger ivan, at 11:59 AM  

I'm BiaW-ing it too! Gotta finish that darn vampire novella. I'm hoping for 10 K but will settle for 8 K.

Good luck to you, Sela! What are you writing?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:55 PM  

I raise my hand! Never have, maybe I will one day...far, far away from today.

By Blogger Emma Sanders, at 5:01 PM  

I haven't done BIAW, I could probably use the focus... :-) Good luck!

By Blogger April, at 10:24 PM  

800 pages? Drink up, Ivan.

Milady, I've BTDT. I hate the word count. But since this is just a segment, rather than the whole, I can do these short challenges.

Go Aurelia!! I'm writing a fairy tale. I'm pretty sure that's what it is, at least.

Emma, sometimes it works for people, sometimes it doesn't. But you never know until you try!

You could do it, April -- I know you could!

Thanks everyone! I got my 3 pages done yesterday in short order, but then had to go do "life" stuff.

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 7:55 AM  

I'm on 1000 words minimum a day. This isn't discipline, this is cold hard panic, because the book's due in about 6 weeks. Agh!!!

You can do it!

(PS so far I've hit 480 words today.)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:12 PM  

It's 8:30 pm and I'm only just sitting down for Day 2's pages! Better get a move on, ladies! We can do it!!

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich