Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


Rambling about goals

Friday, July 08, 2005
Jax is doing a Time Management workshop over at Romance Divas. She's the most driven person I know, so I guess she must be a pro at this!

The first assignment is to set a goal, then to list 10 reasons I want to achieve my goal.

Yikes.

I've never been one to do well with "goals" or "time management." And yeah, I'm using those dorky looking finger quotes when I say that. I'm essentially lazy. I'm easily distracted and have less focus than my 4yo.

I have lots of goals, actually. Keep house tidy. Be a better wife, a better mom, a better person. Stop swearing. But I'm assuming here that Jax is talking primarily about a writing goal, so I'll stick with that.

So what, really, is my goal? Is it to be the next Nora? Not really. I can't imagine the pressure that woman is under to constantly and consistently produce more books at a schedule that must be inhuman. I think she's taking a break right now, though, because they're reissuing a whole ton of her old Silhouettes.

Is it even to be an A-list author like Sandra Brown or Jayne Ann Krentz/Jayne Castle/Amanda Quick or however many pseudonyms she has? Nope. Again, too much pressure. I don't want those expectations put on me. I'm too laid back a personality, despite the occasional raging breakdown.

You know, I think I'd just like to be able to produce one good story a year for the next 20 years or so. Honestly. I want to FINISH a story a year. Submission, acceptance -- that's part of a timeline that's not mine to control. But the writing process from idea to final polishing, is mine-all-mine. I even accept that I write slowly.

What I hate, what I don't want to accept, is the fear that prevents me from finishing. The fear that lately has prevented me from getting past page 10 on anything. The fear that I Will Fail.

I make lots of short term goals -- Finish this scene. Finish this chapter. Finish this story. But what comes next?

So, back to the assignment.
Goal: Finish -- from idea to final polish -- one story per year.

10 Reasons I Want to Achieve My Goal:
1. Sense of accomplishment
2. Pride in a job well done
3. So my family can say, "My wife/mom/daughter is a writer" with pride
4. To sell so that we can afford some extras -- like a housecleaning service!
5. To be able to contribute to the family income
6. A creative outlet
7. To leave my mark on the world as an individual
8. To make people laugh
9. To make people think
10. To bring joy

Well. That wasn't too painful. So, what about you? Why do you write? What's your long-term writing goal?
7/08/2005 07:42:00 PM : : Sela Carsen : : 5 Comments

5 Comments:

Oh, I'm right there with you. Today I was looking at the house.

I need to do the laundry.

I need to do the dishes.

I really should write another chapter.

I oughta work on my pitch since Nationals is like...2 weeks ago (pause for a small panic attack)

I really need to email my CP.

If I don't write the chapter I need to, maybe I'll finally just do the synopsis.

I really need to do the dishes still...

Finally I just turned on the TV and watched L&O SVU and said to Olivia and Elliott, "I'm so freakin' lazy."

BUT, after reading this blog, I think I shall do my 10 reasons on mine tomorrow. So see? You already ARE an inspiration!

By Blogger Brenda, at 12:42 AM  

I have so many goals I can't even keep track of them all! But I may have to do that tomorrow after I get from my chapter meeting:)
Teri

By Blogger TJ Brown, at 1:00 AM  

I'm not much of a goal maker, mostly because I'm so disorganized I make a list, it vanishes, and then I can't remember what I'm doing. But I write because it is in my heart and soul to do so, and that seems like a good enough goal for me.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:26 PM  

Great assignment and responses.

I have lots of goals - you wouldn't be surprised to hear that. Most concern my ds.

My writing goals are -

To finish the darn wip, polish it up, write at Q & S, send it out - by years end and enter this puppy in some contests.

Then start on the next. Finish that one in a year or less - the current one has dragged on for 2 years.

Work up to being able to finish 2 books per year while working full time.

Daily goal - right now to write 2 pages per day. To work up to writing 5 pages a day.

Long term goal: to be able to not work full time at my current or any other outside employment. To be a full time writer and have my writing income replace my work income.

Lori :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:05 PM  

I write because I have to but I'd love to write because I have a fan base just dying to read my next book.

By Blogger Kristen Painter, at 8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich