Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


Names that make you go, Huh?

Saturday, April 30, 2005
Come on, we've all got 'em. The names of either heroes or heroines that trip you up all the way through a book. Or, when you read it on the back cover blurb, the monikers alone will make you put it back on the shelf.

I'm guilty of committing the Lame Name Sin myself. I talked about Bane a while back. I mean, What Was I Thinking? Bane? Did his mother really, really hate him? Who would honestly saddle kid with a name like that? I think he was a Viking in his original incarnation, which excuses me somewhat, but not much.

Other names I can live without:
Damien, Damian, Daemon, or anyother take on the word Demon. Yeah. We get it. He's a Bad Boy.
Stone, Rock, Boulder, Pebble. So what are you trying to tell me, oh so subtly?
Lucian,Lucien. I'm just over them. Why not have a Regency hero who answers to George?
Jake and Nick. I've seen a surfeit of them, too.

What are the Hero names you're done with?

Which ones made you squirm -- and not in a good way?

What names would you like to see?

Personally, I'd like to see a Fred who wasn't a dog. Literally a dog, a la Cruisie. Or a Bob. There aren't enough Bobs in romance land. George, as I noted, is a perfectly legit name for a hero, historical or otherwise. Edmund and Edward get used, but they're usually either family members or the villain. I think I could do with more Phin/Phinneas. Some Philips wouldn't come amiss, either.

On a personal note, I had to counter the squick effect of Bane with a nice, normal Emily.

Tomorrow, heroines!
4/30/2005 11:10:00 AM : : Sela Carsen : : 5 Comments

5 Comments:

Hey Sela!
Glad to see ya back and feeling better! Personally I kinda like the name Jake. LOL :-)Sometimes I think there is a thin line between goofy and unique names.
Shriek

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:32 PM  

LOL, that was fun. Although I do have a soft spot for Stone ...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:30 PM  

Well at least Bane isn't Stud. Or Fulke.
What about Ralph (pronounced Rafe?) Bruce however has been around for a long time but it probably jar people.

But it is sometimes real life last names that get me Onions or its variant O'nions. Or what about De'Ath?

By Blogger Michelle Styles, at 2:13 AM  

Pebble. *snicker*

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:05 AM  

Ah, I name my characters in the spirit of the unique names backlash. I've had an Alan, Hal, Tristan, Kier, Marianne, Rachel, Emily and Jenny.

I couldn't work with Buck. My mind would always fill in the word "naked".

"Buck [naked] pulled a beer from the fridge."

"Hey, Buck [naked]. You there?"

You see my point.

By Blogger Anna Louise Lucia, at 1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich