Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


Decisions

Friday, January 05, 2007
Before I wrote, I acted. Some community theatre, a few musical revues. Nothing earth-shattering, but it kept me moving at a time in my life when that was really important. I even remember taking dd with me to rehearsals before she could crawl. I enjoy doing community theatre. It's the sort of thing that's relatively short term, has a clear goal and end, and then you're done.

When I was single, there was a time when I seriously entertained the thought of chucking it all and moving to Chicago or NY and becoming a professional. I think I'd have done well -- not stellar, but I could probably have made it through the crucible.

But that's long ago now. When we got here, I thought about taking up the mantle again. Today I got a notice about an upcoming audition.

I have to make a decision. There are only so many hours in the day and they're currently all allotted to various necessary things. Family time, cooking, cleaning (should probably shift a few more hours that direction), and especially writing. If I went to this audition, chances are, I'd get a part. Maybe not a huge one, but something. Even though I'm no ingenue, I'm still a solid character actor.

But what can I sacrifice to do this? Not family time, not cooking, not cleaning (too much sacrificed there already). What's left? Writing.

Suddenly, two things I love are being weighed in the balance. And the scale is tipping toward...

Writing.

There will come a time in my life when the things I do are rearranged in such a manner that I can take the hours necessary to be away from home -- to invest in a production. Then, provided my face and ass haven't sagged appreciably, I'll make the time to act again. But for now, I'm a writer.
1/05/2007 02:22:00 PM : : Sela Carsen : : 11 Comments

11 Comments:

To those of us who know and love you, you'll always be a character. ;o)

By Blogger Kristen Painter, at 3:10 PM  

No, not a character.
A writer.

By Blogger ivan, at 9:05 PM  

Making a decision like that is rough, lady.
Your confidence about your choice says it all.
You're a writer. ;-)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:09 PM  

Well, when a writer meets a writer comin' through the rye.
I see that Sela has had a passing glance at my excuse for a TV script over at my blog.
Dead silence.
That's what I got from the producer too.
I'm trying to figure out how to spell poseur.
Ha.

By Blogger ivan, at 5:19 PM  

Thanks for visiting, Sela.

I am of two minds on acting/writing.
In my post graduate course in Writing, I was forced to act--part of the programme for some reason.
I was, I think, good at it, but it took so much energy! We all came down from it all by partying.

But who knows?
It might just break any logjam you may have come up against.

Actually, I don't think it was the acting that burned me out.
There was this gorgeous actress from California....
TMI?

By Blogger ivan, at 6:30 PM  

You could get a cleaner.... ?

Sometimes it's not about giving up time, but rearranging spaces so that they double up, or work well together.

Cleaning could be a fun family acitivity, no? ggg

By Blogger Anna Louise Lucia, at 5:11 AM  

I wish I could get a cleaner! He's already giving me the hairy eyeball at how much time I spend on the computer (notice I didn't say "writing") so I think not even being home would be pushing it.

I act out my scenes in my head as I write -- I end up with lots of action tags and beats. Acting takes a lot of energy, but I find it gives a lot, too. I was always really wound up after coming home from rehearsal.

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 9:20 AM  

While I was in Guanajuato Stat, Mexico, I came across one Bob Sommerlott, a moderately successful writer of fiction.

Ladies would call him on the phone.
"What are you doing...writing?...Oh I'm so glad--I thought you may have been doing something important
(sic!)."

Don't know if this is of any use to you.

I do know that in my own case, we sort of had two PhD's in the same family and my then-wife and I got into this competition thing that turned close to ugly.
If I ever get married again, I'll never, never show that I am better at most things compared to my wife.
I'd be very quiet and just say "yes dear."
I suppose writers are hard to live with. Sometimes the gain is not worth the pain.
It strikes me that no gain is worth
risking ones psychological health, to wit, turmoil in the family.

But maybe it's just me.
I am still writing vicious romans a' clefs about my past relationships.
Everything seems to be material--Dammit.

...Just trying to untie the knot
by some sort of object lesson, I suppose.
Break a leg!

By Blogger ivan, at 11:22 AM  

At least in writing, you can express your acting love through your character's interaction and dialogue :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:52 PM  

I'm so glad you chose to stick with writing, Sela!
Yea!

And regarding a previous post about how discouraging it is to find out someone (liar, liar pants on fire) can write ten thousand words a day for four days a week.

We don't really know the quality of the work. :)

It could merely be 1000 sentences of...All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. :)
Have a fabulous Monday!
L

By Blogger Lara Santiago, at 8:23 AM  

Hmm.
Their script or your own?
Good choice.

By Blogger Bernita, at 9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich