Wild Wild Western Bride
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2,878 / 90,000
(3.2%)
Links

Archives


Thinking Hard

Saturday, June 24, 2006
First things first -- my back feels MUCH better today!

Second, I've been thinking about blogging again.

I love my little blog. I truly do. I know, I neglect it sometimes but by some miracle, I haven't killed it yet.

But, in light of the "using your blog as promotion," I'm uncertain if I succeed. I know I can count on many of you, my faithful buddies, to buy my book and participate in my contests when I have them. But is it enough? Am I ambitious enough?

Probably not. I'm not a truly ambitious person. I must be one of the few writers I know who has no burning desire to top the Waldenbooks Bestseller List, much less the NYT list. I really don't. It's not that I doubt my ability -- I know I'm a good writer and feel like I can hold my own with most mid-listers. It's that I doubt my output.

I'm inconsistent and slow. I know that. You know that. It doesn't make for much of a career, frankly. I'll be very, very lucky to submit one story a year. And that, not even novel length.

So, in light of reality, is it worth it to change my blog into more of a marketing tool instead of what it is -- a place I come to talk about my day, my kids, my darn-near-perfect dh?

Nah. Probably not. But it couldn't hurt to talk a bit more craft, now could it? Maybe, like some friends, I could institute a weekly Writing Craft Day. What do you think? It probably would come less from the perspective of "This is what the books and the rules say" and more from "this works for me, I've heard that it works for others." Just my perspective on stuff. Maybe talk about my pet peeves. Maybe talk more in depth about my favorite, and not-so-favorite books.

Any ideas for my first Writing Craft Day? Maybe a catchier name for it?

In other news, it has come to my attention that my tits are more famous than I am. I think I'm just going to have to accept the situation and post the photo as my profile picture. People at RWA will learn to recognize me by my cleavage. Maybe my boobs will attract the attention of a leading publisher and they'll be asked to write the story of their ups and downs.
6/24/2006 06:59:00 PM : : Sela Carsen : : 21 Comments

21 Comments:

I think your blog is perfect! Your writing style draws readers in and gives them a sense of intimacy. IMO, this is just what writers need to build a fan base - and you've already got it going on!

By Blogger Bebe, at 2:06 AM  

Your perspective idea sounds like a good one.

By Blogger Bernita, at 8:36 AM  

I keep hearing "buy my book" on
other blogs.
How do I get one, or better still,steal one.

Uh, I heard that.

Myself, I'm out of stock, so save for online, I have no books to sell.
Clang department: Thanks for the mammary.

By Blogger ivan, at 11:20 AM  

Thanks Bebe. I hope that's the case. I do like my blog as it is. It's a comfortable place for me.

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 11:29 AM  

Milady, I don't think I'd ever become a promo slut, no matter what my photo looks like! But I think maybe adding a solid custard base under my meringue couldn't hurt.

Hah! See? I used a baking analogy! Ok, it was sad, but it was there!

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 11:31 AM  

Thanks Bernita. I'll have to put some thought into it.

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 11:32 AM  

Alas, you'll have to wait to "buy my book." It's two months away from release -- I'm merely sowing the seeds now, hoping to reap the benefits in August.

And I'm having fun tweaking Bernita. *gg*

Oh, and you're welcome. LOL

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 11:33 AM  

You writing to me in code?
I think I get it.

Congrats on the book coming out.

By Blogger ivan, at 11:57 AM  

Ivan, run over to Bernita's blog today and you'll see the "buy my book" thing in the comments. That should provide the key to the code. :)

Milady, I think I still need another round or two of edits before I'm cleared for posting excerpts. But I can't wait!

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 2:00 PM  

Sweetheart,
I cottoned onto that real fast.
Take a page from your book and go
gg.

By Blogger ivan, at 3:48 PM  

Sela, I think you should use your blog anyway you durn well please.

And that photo (I remember it, lol!) is sure to attract more male readers.

Who needs promo? :-D

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:57 PM  

I love your blog as well. It's all YOU. ANd you're true good heart and humor shine through.

Although I dfo have to say I did notice the pic right away! :) I kept thinking as I was reading your post, she did just put that up right? Did I miss it before? Which would be sad since I think I was the one who actually took it. (Or one identicle to it) LOL

By Blogger Sasha White, at 4:36 AM  

Hmmm -- a new chapter in how to draw a male readership. Have all female romance authors switch their back cover photos for pictures of their cleavage. *gg*

Sasha, I love, love, love this photo. It makes me smile and laugh. I don't know what's going to happen in Atlanta, but I'll never forget how much fun I had in Reno with you.

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 9:44 AM  

Sorry, what? I was blinded by cleavage.

By Blogger Kristen Painter, at 11:23 AM  

Kristen...*snicker!*

I think that's a GREAT idea!
We should be allowed to post pictures of the girls instead of head shots!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:40 AM  

Never mind, Sela.
You are definitely abreast of the times in blogland.
The ripple effect has people hitting my site, where Doubting Thomas, a correspondent of mine,thinks you should go all the way and audition immediately for Calcutta if the judges come to your town. But then that would be
topless-bottomless.
Performance art, I say!
But then you do write well, as all the Southern ladies seem to.

By Blogger ivan, at 12:30 PM  

At first I didn't know which link to whose blog I hit. Then I saw the Ladies.

"Oh, Sela!"

By Blogger Eva Gale, at 11:42 PM  

Ivan, I don't think I'll be heading to Calcutta anytime soon! I model my image after Gypsy Rose Lee, who maintained a mystery that made her more famous than the skin she bared.

Eva, not you, too!

By Blogger Sela Carsen, at 7:16 AM  

Ah, Gysy Rose Lee.

Not to be necrophiliacs looking for dead ones, but I've always enjoyed burlesque in its original art form.
I used to do stories on old hoofers and performers, namely Amber Mist, but I fear she is dead too. Ah Vaudeville, Toronto version, the old Victory Theatre.

p.s.: I forgot Ineda Mann!

By Blogger ivan, at 1:28 PM  

p.s.:

Lili St. Cyr!

By Blogger ivan, at 3:16 PM  

Sela Babe! I had such a fantastic time wit you in Reno. You are in my heart forever. I sure hope you make it to Atlanta, we can take a new pictyure for Your blog LOL !

By Blogger Sasha White, at 7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




 

 
Welcome to selacarsen.com
Copyright © Sela Carsen
Website Design by Haven Rich